Break out of your digital strategy slump with these tips
This post is part of our ‘Make hay while the sun shines’ series – a guide for using summer downtime to clean up your digital strategy.
As we all know, the world of digital marketing is constantly evolving. Trends, events and opportunities come and go in the blink of an eye – it’s hard to keep up! As a result, your content marketing strategy could be stuck in a status-quo-induced rut.
Luckily, the summer months are often less hectic than the rest of the year. If you’re going to try something new to break out of your digital strategy slump, now’s the time to do it while you have more time to play and your audience might be off on summer vacation.
Whether you’re looking to explore communications trends or get more involved in your industry, use the summer slowdown wisely. Below, we’ve listed ideas that will help you spread your digital wings.
How to break out of a digital strategy slump:
Do your research
- Mary Meeker’s infamous Internet Trends report is now out for 2017. It contains more than 350 slides of must-know information for marketers – but if you’d prefer a condensed version, check out Adweek’s seven takeaways from the report.
Master a new social platform
- Twitter: If you’re not on Twitter already, it may be time to jump on board. As Sprout Social puts it, “In the right hands, the platform represents an incredibly powerful branding tool.”
- Facebook: This social media giant has 1.28 billion users – chances are good that your target audience ranks among that number.
- Snapchat: If you’re looking to connect with a younger crowd, you could find success on Snapchat. While this platform isn’t as big as Facebook or Twitter, it’s definitely a lot of fun.
- Instagram: For businesses that have plenty of visual content to share, Instagram is the platform for your stunning snaps.
Test out new forms of multimedia
- Video: Contrary to popular opinion, creating effective video content doesn’t have to break the bank. Check out our tips for creating budget-friendly videos here.
- Audio: Podcasts are crazy popular these days. If you’re interested in deep diving into stories and issues surrounding your industry, audio content allows you to do just that.
- Memes: If you’re looking to add a little humour to your brand strategy, creating a few memes could be a fun option. However, not all memes are comical – they can also be educational.
- Infographics: Infographics allow you to present information to your target audience in a highly visual manner – this is key for maintaining your audience’s attention.
- Events: While industry networking events often slow down this time of year, you likely have lots of social engagements on your calendar. Take advantage of these opportunities to brush up on your networking skills. You never know who you might meet!
- Education: Why not add to your skillset by investing in education this summer? Whether you take a one-day workshop or enrol in a course at your local college, it’s never too late to learn something new.
We hope these tips will help you make the most of any free time you may have this summer. Let us know which ones you’ve tried out in the comments!